Monday, March 26, 2012

"A picture is worth a thousand words..."

... so get ready for a million! I've been so busy here...hard to put into words how wonderful this experience is.. so I haven't been able to keep up with my blog...I apologize! Since my last post, I had spring holiday and have been doing some amazing traveling...mainly in Italy...but first I will update you on classes beginning, trip to a fairy tale like castle in Germany, and the Igloo Bar..
***First, some really great news came my way a couple of weeks ago in the midst of studying in beautiful Innsbruck- I was offered the Corporate Management Training Position for the Rooms Division with Hyatt- I can't wait to return to the states to start this great program. Studying in Austria delays my graduation from May to August..I will begin my training in July and graduate in August - I am so grateful to have been given this opportunity of a lifetime. I'm one happy girl :)
 
***MCI’s culture is to inspire and mentor the motivated. I like that...
Classes began. I'm taking Understanding Austrian Society and Culture, Alpine Tourism, Product Development and Innovation, International Tourism and Leisure Markets, Tourism Management, International Marketing,and International Consumer Behavior. Classes run all day, 9:00-16:45, with 2 breaks and lunch. I'm living off of the .65 cent cappuccinos from the coffee machine and Haribo gummies (they're made in Germany) from the vending machines. Classes are either one big lecture and discussion or a lecture, followed by group work, and wrap up with presentations. Long days and the classes are either over in a week or spread out over a couple months. My professors are international- Austrian, German, Australian, Korean, etc... The classes are a mix of Austrian students and exchange students (from Germany, Finland, Spain, Switzerland, France, Uruguay, Italy, Slovenia, Canada, USA...)
MCI has several campuses. The tourism classes are held at MCI III (located across the river, up on the mountainside). Long walk and definitely a great workout! 
Well worth the hike to gaze out the window during class...


***First day in Austrian culture-I cooked a traditional Austrian meal with my friend Serena (Italy)...schnitzel, potato salad, beef broth soup with pancakes, and apple strudel.
***I'm happy to have met my new Italian friends- they really like that my last name is Piazza! They've asked me to help them improve their English. They don't give themselves enough credit- They speak English very well. I wish I was able to speak other languages fluently... I told them I'd help correct their grammar, but I will not help them with pronunciation because I love their accents :)

***Went up to the Cloud 9 on Nordkette for the Igloo Bar, 2 times for student night... packed into the city bus like sardines, bussed up to the lift...The view is truly breathtaking. Innsbruck glows.  
Also the view of the mountain peaks in the night sky sure is amazing. The bar serves hot wine..feels good when you're in the igloo. DJ, bar, music, and dancing in an igloo....quite the experience.

 
















***We took a field trip to the city of Telfs. 
We learned about the traditional Fasnacht and controversy surrounding the Tyrolean land.

***Went to the Alpenzoo. It's home to over 2000 animals that are "typical to the Alps." 
Most of the animals must have been sleeping....

***I went skiing for my very first time EVER. A big group of the exchange students arranged to go the same day. We all took a free bus from the train station to Axamer Lizum. The bus was filled with expert skiers, snowboarders and equipment. Most everyone in our group was experienced, except for 4 of us.
The fun began when I had to rent equipment. I have very large feet (size 11-YIKES). I had trouble figuring out what my size would be equivalent to in European shoe sizes. My next struggle was getting the ski boots on and learning to walk in them…then putting the skies on, etc. 
Thankfully, our friends helped us and were very patient. I learned how to safely fall, but then needed help standing back up. Daniel (Switzerland) taught me “how to be parallel with the mountain,” and to make turns without falling… only took the entire day for me to grasp these concepts.

They say “You can’t eat the scenery…” …well you certainly can. I fell, rolled around, and ate so much snow. It was a little intimidating skiing for the first time in the ALPS ;)
To say the least, it was a successful day for my first ski-didn’t break anything…and I got to take in these views…
  
***In my Alpine Tourism class, we took a field trip to St. Anton. After 3 cable cars...we made it to the top...

We enjoyed lunch on the tippy top of St. Anton's observatory deck.
  Then we took a tour of Mooserwirt...one of the best Après-Ski in St. Anton and the beautiful Das Mooser Hotel. The operations are truly one of a kind. We enjoyed complimentary beer and great music.







 




***A group of us traveled to Fussen, Germany to visit the Neuschwanstein Castle. Our 2nd train dropped us off somewhere in Ruette in Tirol...took a little bit of a walk to find the bus station. 
Veggie Kebab & Cappuccinos in Fussen before we visit the castle. (Finland, Spain, Italy, France)


4 trains and 4 buses.... and the Neuschwanstein Castle is under construction... DOH
Mad King Ludwig dreamed of the fairytale castle...he inherited the throne at age 18. It was built from 1869-1886, but construction stopped when he died. The Nazis used the castle as their primary secret storage place for stolen artwork... 
 
It was so beautiful inside- romantic, whimsical, and colorful...I wanted to move in. The Amazing Race had a scavenger hunt in the castle before our visit. It's also known for inspiring Disney's castle :)

We also saw the Hohenschwangau Castle...

***I was part of a team with some friends in ESN Innsbruck's CITY RALLYE... we ran around the city, finding stations, completing quizzes and tasks, making fools of ourselves :)
Tired after a long day running around Innsbruck...(Finland, USA, Holland) Even though we lost, we felt like winners. :)

***Professor Kaye Chon’s lectured my International Tourism & Leisure Markets class. His lecture was very inspiring.  He’s traveled to 90 countries…his goal is to visit 100. It’s always motivating to hear professionals in the industry talk about their career paths and travels. Professor Kaye Chon is friends with Rosen’s dean, Dr. Pizam…small world! He’s been to UCF and knows several other professors.

Stay tuned for trip to Venice... and Florence, Pisa, Rome, Paris, and Reims.

No comments:

Post a Comment